In preparation for the Kentucky Derby this Saturday, we thought it was only fitting to include a recipe for the Mint Julep in this week's blog. Mint Juleps have been the traditional drink of choice at the Derby since 1938 and each year, Churchill Downs is said to serve over 120,000 of them! Thankfully, each cocktail takes about three minutes to make so they're perfect if you're hosting a Derby-themed party! So wherever your plans take you this coming Saturday, we hope it'll be a celebration to remember (or not!).
What You'll Need: (Serves One)
- 4-5 leaves from mint sprigs
- 2 sugar cubes or 1/2 ounce of simple syrup
- 2.5-3 oz of Bourbon
- Mint sprig for garnish
What To Do:
1) Place the mint and cubes/simple syrup in your cup and muddle well.
2) Add the bourbon
3) Fill the cup with crushed ice (tip: if you don't have an ice machine, cover your ice with a towel and use your muddler to whack the ice). Bonus points for using a traditional julep cup!
4) Stir well
5) Garnish with a mint sprig